Saturday, February 21, 2009

Confessions of a Product Whore: My Clean Little Secret

At first the word whore seemed a little harsh and then a second glance in my bathroom cabinets and shower floor proved me wrong, junkie was hardly harsh enough, whore was just right.

I have always loved products. Lotions, creams, perfumes, face wash, make up, shampoos, pretty much anything that is sticky and/or creamy, smells good and promises to smooth, clear and clean my skin, hair, nails. One key ingredient...price. Did I also mention I take two showers a day? These two facts I am realizing go hand in hand.

The ironic thing is that although I like to read product labels (I'm weird) and peruse the aisles and magazine pages for new items, I'm becoming more loyal to certain brands. It's like I finally realized what works and what doesn't and have decided to stick with those (cough) few products. Well so I thought.

While showering this morning I took inventory of all of the things in the shower with me. Razors (2), loofah, Kiehls Amino Acid Shampoo, Pantene Shampoo and Conditioner, Herbal Essence Shampoo and Conditioner, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Shampoo, Dove bar soap, Johnson and Johnson's Baby Wash in Regular and Shea Butter and last but not least my favorite product line...Organix. I have the Pomegranate and Green Tea Shampoo, Coconut Milk Conditioner and the most recent addition to their family and mine, Mandarin Olive Oil Shampoo. With all of this in the shower, I wonder how I am able to clean myself, much less throw my leg up on the wall (standing shower) and shave my legs. It's a wonder I tell you.

The thing is that I know what all of these products do and I don't want to phase them out of the shower and out of my life. When my hair needs a little extra moisture, Pantene. When I feel like it needs a good clarifying treatment, Tea Tree Shampoo. When I want it to have extra life and lift, Kiehls. And like I said my go-to always makes my hair wonderful and smells delicious, Organix. So what is a girl to do? I am the go-to for my friends to ask about products and I am the girl who recently filled in an online poll on Allure to suggest the Best of the Best Products of 2008. I have a responsibility!! So with this I humbly say, "Hi my name is Brandee and I am a Product Whore."

2 comments:

Kels said...

I also really like the Organix Tea Tree Mint Shampoo. And and am very quickly becoming a fan of Kiehls' Creme with Silk Groom.

A New Gentleman said...

Um. I don't even have enough space in the bathroom for any more products. I have to keep some in the hall closet in plastic shoe boxes. Which kinda makes me feel bad when I think about all the kids who have to go without moisturizer and gel.